That’s right, today, June 16th is the first day of the National Picnic Week in the UK. So gather up your family, grab a blanket, bunch of snacks, some board games, sunscreen and get out to the nearest park for a fun picnic!
If you are a parent, you know how difficult it might be to come up with activities for your children to keep them entertained and prevent them sitting in front of the TV all day long. The last thing you want is for them to waste any of these hot summer days.
A picnic is a perfect opportunity for the whole family to bond, engage in conversations and chill for an afternoon.
You know what else is great about a picnic? It is a very budget friendly activity! I bet you have a blanket and paper plates somewhere at home. Look around your fridge and cupboards for snacks, fruits, and vegetables, make easy sandwiches and off you go! Parks are free for everyone. So instead of going to the cinema or for a family meal, have some fun outside this weekend!
Fresh air and vitamin D will be great for all of you, and the kids will definitely not have any trouble falling asleep after an adventurous day in the sun, which is another plus.
Make sure to pack healthy and fun summer treats. Aim for whole foods and prepare them at home. Involve your children in the preparation of your snacks for added fun. Pick colorful foods with fresh smell and taste to make them more attractive. Remember, children especially, need to consume a large variety of well-balanced healthy whole foods to help them grow! Make sure to include as many fruits and vegetables as possible along with healthy grains, sources of protein and fats.
Need summer meal and snack ideas? Here are some heart healthy tips for you:
- Avocado and Strawberry Sandwiches – mash ripe avocados with just a pinch of salt, spread on whole wheat bread and top with sliced strawberries
- Hummus with Vegetable Sticks – make your own hummus, it is super easy!!! Drain a can of chickpeas, blend with olive oil, tahini (optional), salt, pepper, lemon juice and spices of choice (paprika, curry spice, chili flakes)
- Bean Salad – Mix any canned beans you have on hand with bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach leaves. Pour balsamic vinegar with olive oil and chopped up fresh herbs for amazing fresh taste
- Caprese Salad Skewers – alternate mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves on a skewer stick
- Lighter Potato Salad – use low-fat greek yogurt instead of fatty mayonnaise and load up the salad with vegetables and fresh herbs for volume and great taste
- Strawberry Salsa – mix chopped strawberries, red onion, jalapeno pepper, fresh cilantro, lime juice, pinch of salt and pepper and enjoy with tortilla chips. Trust me, this summary treat is phenomenal
- Fruit salad – this couldn’t be easier, literally chop any fruits you have left at home and might go off soon. Put them all in a bowl and enjoy
Don’t forget about hydration! Water is very important during hot days. Infuse your water with fresh fruits for fresh flavor. These are some of our favorite combinations:
- Lemon and Orange slices
- Strawberry and Basil
- Cucumber, Lime, Strawberry, and Mint
- Watermelon and Mint
Whatever you pack and bring along with you, have fun and enjoy a beautiful day out with your family and friends! Enjoy your Picnic Week. Check out the National Picnic Week website for more fun tips and information on how to win special prizes.