The 16th of July is the National Cherry Day here in the UK!
These deep red little fruits well deserve to be celebrated on this special day, as they are packed with nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A, potassium, manganese, and fibre.
Cherries are known to be packed with antioxidants and to have anti-inflammatory properties which help to lower the oxidative stress and damage of the body. Reducing oxidative stress may be beneficial for overall health but also for the treatment of conditions such as gout, partial loss of vision or chronic pain.
In addition, cherries help to improve Heart Health. Potassium within cherries is important for the healthy function of major organs including the heart and the brain and lowers blood pressure as well as the chances of stroke. PPAR isoforms contained in cherries lower the risk of CVD by regulating the fat and glucose controlling hormones.
If you have troubles going to sleep at night, cherries are here to help! The juice of cherries contains a phytochemical melatonin which regulates the sleep-wake cycle and improves sleep efficiency. So have your self a glass of Cherry juice before your next snooze.
Cherries are an ideal snack, sweet, juicy and refreshing. They are also very versatile and can be used in many dishes, meals or desserts. How about trying something new for the celebration of The National Cherry Day this year and use cherries in a salad. A Brown Rice Cherry Avocado Salad, to be exact (pictured on the image)
You will need:
- 3 cups Brown Rice
- 3 stalks of Celery
- 1/2 of a Cucumber
- 1 cup purple Cabbage
- 3 cups of halved and pitted Cherries
- 1/2 of ripe Avocado (we need the heart-healthy fats!)
- 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
How to do it:
- Cook up your rice according to instructions
- Chop Celery and Cucumber to small pieces, slice Cabbage very thin and combine with the rice in a large bowl
- Mash the avocado with Salt, Pepper and Apple Cider Vinegar until it makes for a slightly thick salad dressing and mix in with the rice mixture
- Stir in the Cherries and the Cashews and serve cold
- Enjoy and send us pictures